Friday, October 14, 2011

Straight from the heart

Went to a funeral today.  The beautiful baby girl was 7 hours old.  My heart ached to watch my friend and his wife bury  their 3rd child.  Sometimes life brings unexpected trails and tribulations.  Several years ago as I worked as a medical social worker on the Labor and Delivery and Pediatric untis, I helped families as their babies died or with fetal demisses.  I cried with them, and often would feel sad for them.  But it was so much easier to walk away at the end of the day with a prayer that they might find peace. 

Today as I watched husband and wife and family say good-bye I struggled so much more.  Maybe because I know them, have that personal connection and care about them.  I watched the husband carry the small casket and cried knowing that for a time, that would be the last time he carried his baby girl.  How grateful I am for comfort I feel in knowing of God's Plan of Salvation and the knowledge that we can be with our families and loved ones again.  The pain is still present, understandably so, for them.  But they also speak of peace they have received.  I pray they might have peace and that we may never have to pass through that trial. 

No comments:

Post a Comment