Currently, I am trying to make sure we use all of our food in the fridge and cupboards and not let it go to waste. So, that means I have been getting creative. Did you know if you have no milk and no cream of whatever soup you can still make Hawaiian haystack sauce with cottage cheese? Just melt it down slowly over a low heat, add some chopped chicken, a little salt and
pepper, and cornstarch to thicken it. It tasted terrific and just the same on our wild rice with pineapple and bell pepper.We also had bought some wheat several months back that I have never ground and we were out of bread. So after fixing up the grinder and making
the flour (I feel the little red hen but I actually shared), I make my first loaf of 100% whole wheat bread in our amazing bread maker. Feeling adventurous and wanting some homemade jam, I made my first batch of blueberry lime jam. We had a bag of frozen blueberries, which worked perfectly. I have never made jam before but was inspired as I watched my mother-in-law make some last summer. It has turned out wonderfully. One little confession though, our bread maker has a jam making setting, so all I had to do was put in the ingredients, press start, scrap the sides twice and take it out when it beeped. Technology! At least now, we have both fresh made jam and bread! It's amazing what really can be made when you feel you don't have much in the fridge at home.
Wow! I'm impressed!! I wish I had the time to make bread! I don't have a bread machine but...amazing what technology does nowadays! I have had to be creative a lot with my food! Tonight we had tuna fish in pita pockets and apples and peanut butter for dinner...it was good! Especially since I was so hungry when I got off work! I hope all is well and I am glad you are updating your blog! :)
ReplyDelete