Monday, August 3, 2009

Ouray, Green River and Yuba Lake

Since the last time I have written I have been on 2 backpacking trips, both to the Ouray mountains but in two different areas with my VP kids. VP is the group I work mostly with; At Vantage Point, we specialize in helping students with a wide range of learning, neurodevelopmental, emotional, psychological and behavioral difficulties. It was a gorgeous area. During this last weeks trip we hiked in at night then spent a couple of days of backpacking, and drinking out of streams (other things we did besides backpacking can be seen below). It was so beautiful there. We hiked out and went bushwacking up the mountainside to get out of the valley. It was about 1 1/2 mile hike up.


I took these pictures from the almost the top of the mountain when we were hiking out of the canyon. This is Ouray, where we hiked in to the bottom and hiked all around down there and then back up the mountain.




This is me as we stopped to take a break during our climb out.














I love yoga and was able to do it with a twist in what is called acro-yoga. Tim (my co-guide) held me on his feet in what is called "flying" and I well..."flew". From there I was able to do different yoga moves. I was sore afterwards because of the muscles that it required to balance and move with control.





This last week part of our itinerary was to camp at Yuba Lake. There we swam and had a acro-yoga competition where the students learned various moves and performed them on the beach. (Tim is a yoga instructor).








Josh came to have lunch and play with us when we were at the Lake (don't worry it was pre-approved)







We also had a slack line that we played on and used for a cool devotional about balance in life and the paths we follow. We found a great spot to do this when we camped at Green River State Park.

This was such a great trip with tons of hiking and fun. I love my job and will be sad to see it end. On Wednesday I will go out for my last 8 days on trail before starting a new internship of not so much adventure at the hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment