Wednesday, November 10, 2010

May to August 2009 - Summer BSW Internship Adventures

My first week as a trail guide for Aspiro during my BSW internship we went to Moab.  We rappelled Corona Arch for my first rappel - 160 feet.  End of May beginning of June 2009
Me doing acroyoga on Tim Lewis's feet with Aaron Samudio spotting me.  I really enjoyed being able to work with these 2 men as co-guides and friends.  Each of us have our own styles with working with people and our own very different personalities yet, we learned to work together very well.  They were my favorite co-guides.
Me when on a backpacking trip in the Ouray Mountains - 7-24-2009

When hiking into Ouray, we lost the trail, and lost the GPS.  We were hiking in at night and were protected as we came down this hillside at night.
Also part of the hillside we hiked down in the dark of night

Me when hiking out of Ouray back to our van
July 26, 2009 - I took this picture as we were still hiking out of Ouray.  Our trip consisted of hiking from the top of the mountain to the bottom floor of the valley, up the valley for several miles and then back up the mountain.  This were some good size hills.
July 28, 2009 - Joshua came to visit while I was on trail.  We were camping at Yuba Lake (Yuba means wind and it does get very windy) and he came to join us swimming for the day.  That day we also held an acroyoga competition.  During my time at Asprio, Joshua was a great support to me.  He encouraged my going on trail and would come to visit when allowed.  I loved being able to see him. It was strengthening for me.  This 8 day week out on trail would soon turn into 23 days on trail.

August 1, 2009 - Co-guide Chase and I leading a group of boys and several parents in the Lava Tubes, Snow Canyon, St. George, UT.  I was down there to help with the parent seminar and ended up doing everything from being a guide with the boys, and adult group to helping with details at the seminar.

Me getting ready to go into the Lava Tubes - In August it was so HOT in St. George so going into the Lava Tubes where it was 70 degrees was wonderful. - August 1, 2009

In the back you can see the beautiful Snow Canyon

Snow Canyon in August 2009 during my trip down to help with the parent seminar.  I love this canyon!  I find it very peaceful.
After completing my responsibilities and other helping with the weekend parent seminar, I found the St. George Temple.  This was the first time I had been there - August 1, 2009

This temple is so beautiful that I had to take pictures- August 2009 - It was also such a pretty day.
 
St. George Temple - August 2009 - I took this picture
August 5-12, 2009 - Trip to Coyote Gulch, Escalante, UT - This trip was my last week on trail for the year.  One year later to the day, I would go on trail again (this time backpacking on Tabiona Mountain) for one week to help out when they were short staffed.


Coyote Gulch has amazing views.  We hiked from the floor up to where I took this picture.  To get to this point is a LARGE, LONG sand hill known as "God's stair master".  I truly was a difficult workout with one step forward and two slides backwards.  

Me after finally reaching the top of the stair master and arriving at the "crack in the wall".  It truly is a crack in the wall that you have to walk through in order to get out of this canyon.

Another area that can be seen from crack in the wall.

You can see some of the stair master in the back of this picture



This is the stair master.  We hiked from down by the green in the canyon up to the top of the canyon. - August 8, 2009


August 9, 2009 - Me with Stephen's Arch in the background



Me in Coyote Gulch

The beautiful rocks and cliffs in Coyote Gulch


Me in Coyote Gulch


In Coyote Gulch there are fresh water springs.  These are such a nice treat.  The water is delicious and COLD!

Me at Jacob Hamblins Arch in Coyote Gulch - their is a freshwater spring right near there - August 2009




When out of Coyote Gulch the landscape is very different.  It is very dry.  There are no trees to protect from the extreme heat.  Mostly we hike in the evening and night because of the heat.  There are many interesting rock structures that have been cut out by the wind and rain.

A beautiful moonlit night in Escalante.  This night our van broke down as we were driving in on Hole in the Rock Road.  We left the van and hiked began hiking the rest of the way.  Luckily, the Expidition Manager was able to drive to meet us and drive us the rest of the way to our campsite.  We could not camp where the car had broke down because the land we were on when we broke down did not allow camping.

Ben Wampler and I - we were co-guides, along with Teancum during our trip to Coyote Gulch.  This was both mine and Ben's last week on trail for the summer.















No comments:

Post a Comment