I while ago I wrote about how I feel so bipoloar about my job; sometimes I love it and other times I don't. I have been thinking more and more about how this job is a blessing. I am learning much and a believe the things I am learning will help me in my life. I believe these lessons are blessings which will help me be a good mom one day.
Here are just a few of the ways it blesses my life:
1. It provides an income. No it does not pay much but at least it pays and is above $7.00 (which seems to be "big money" for Utah).
2. I am learning to keep my composure in a hectic setting and treat others with kindness and empathy when they are not so nice to me.
3. I am learning how to work with teenagers and young adults from various walks of life. I am learning how to work with those who come from very wealthy families to poor families; those with drug addictions to mental illnesses; those with learning and processing issues or even brain injuries to those who do not have those. I am learning to be compassionate. How to talk with them, and how not to. How to confront them when they are not making good choices and how to help them learn to become more accountable for their actions.
4. I am learning to be a parent. I usually call the students, "my kids" when I think about them because I care for them, help provide for their physical, emotional and spiritual needs. During last summer when I worked as a guide, I was often told by others, that I was very nurturing. I am continuing to understand what it means to be nurturing.
5. I am learning how to work with insurance companies and how to find doctors on various insurances.
6. I am learning that some medications are needed and that some are over prescribed. I am also learning that we need to be careful with what we allow doctors to tell us we need. Often their is a deeper problem that needs to be addressed not just a magic pill given to make the problem go away. Yet sometimes there is a chemical imbalance that does need a medication to help regulate it.
7. I am learning how to deligate responsibilities. I am learning to allow others to help me and how to give them instructions appropriately.
8. I am learning to use my gifts and talents of loving people, being a good example, working hard and organizing events. My mom and dad really taught me this. So did church. Church also taught me to conduct meetings. I am young but I felt like I set up and conducted my works family workshop with 70 people very well. I loved being able to do that.
9. I am learning to juggle a busy schedule and multi-task. I am learning that in order to do a good job and remember it, I need to write it down. By writing down my goal of what I want to accomplish during the day, I am usually able to meet my goal. I am learning to work from home and work straight from 8 hours while at home. This skill will be so important from me as I attend graduate school and need to study.
10. I am learning that I must stop to take time to take care of myself. After the family workshop ended and I completed everything else I needed to two Tuesday's ago, I was greatly stressed. I went and got a massage. When I saw a friend later that night, she complimented me on taking time to take care of myself. I am also grateful for the friendships I have made through my work. Last week, my summer time co-guide Aaron Samudio came over to visit Joshua and I. We reminisced that it was a year ago that we met and on how our friendship has grown and how we have been blessings in each others lives.
The list could go on and on about how my job has been a blessing in mine and Joshua's life. In each of these situations that I mentioned they have had ripple effects in our marriage. I believe that the ups and downs we have endured with my work have strengthened our relationship and increased our ability to communicate with each other.
I am grateful for the opportunity to work.
No comments:
Post a Comment