Thursday, November 26, 2009

I Am Grateful!


Today is Thanksgiving and I have so much to be grateful for.  Here are just a few in no particular order.


I am grateful for children - tonight at dinner, the children went first in telling 3 things they are grateful for. I was so impressed by the sincerity of their gratitude.  They mentioned things that took thought like, warm & safe shelter, family, scriptures, food, and church leaders.  They taught me that I have so much to be grateful for. If these kids could come up with these things, then I certainly can and ought to too.


I am grateful for education and an ability to learn - I have so many individuals in my life right now like Joshua, parents, in-laws, friends, family members, and my incredible supervisor & mentor Anna, other mentors like Gordon, Justin, Dr Mathesen, and Wendy who all teach me new things and new ways to think.  I enjoy learning and am grateful to be gaining an education at BYU.


I am grateful for family - I have wonderful family members who love, support and guide me.  I am grateful for my grandparents and that over the years grandpa and I have been able to speak of something we both hold dear, which is our love for Jesus.


I am grateful for Joshua - He is always there for me.  He cares about me.  He helps me and does so  much to help keep our home clean even though both of us have little time to spare in the day and night.  Joshua seeks to work hard to provide for us while we are in college by working 2 jobs while he is student teaching and going to school full-time.


I am grateful to know that death is not the end - As I have been working at the hospital on the labor and delivery and pediatric floors, assisting families who have just lost their baby, it is sad.  What has helped me through is the confirmation from the Holy Ghost that this life is not all there is.  God is in control and He has a plan.


I am grateful for the temple - it is through the covenants I have made with God in the temple that I can be with my family as a family unit even after this life. 


I am grateful for work opportunities - in these economically hard times, I have been blessed with 2 jobs.  I am grateful for my position as a lifeguard as it has allowed me to work on campus, and in between my classes.  I am also grateful that I was offered a position as an assistant to a therapist at Aspiro.  Now I will not have to be a trail guide there and freeze in the snow.  Now I only have to spend a day in the snow, practicing what I have studied.  This is a good paying job that is so flexible with my schedule right now.  It is also so wonderful that once I graduate, I will have a real job.


Most of all, I am grateful for my Savior - without Him, nothing else would matter.  Without Him, I would not be able to be forgiven of my sins.  If I am not forgiven of my sins, I cannot live with God as no unclean thing can enter the kingdom of God. 


There are so many other things that I continue to list that I am grateful for.  I have noticed that as I begin to list what I am grateful for and why, I realize how  much longer my list ought to be.  I am grateful for this holiday and time of year to focus my thoughts and life on what truly is most important; God, relationships, gratitude and love.

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy to have found your blog! I will love keeping up on your very busy life!
    I blog too, but not often enough!

    Come visit mine if you get the chance: www.thebigfatgreekblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete